Knees and Hips;a trouble-shooting guide to knee and hip pain
It may be time to consider knee or hip replacement if one or more of the following statements apply to you.
• you are unable to complete normal daily tasks without help.
• you have significant pain daily.
• pain keeps you awake at night despite the use of medications.
• nonsurgical approaches—such as medications, the use of a cane, and diligent physical therapy—have not relieved your pain.
• less complicated surgical procedures are unlikely to help.
• pain keeps you from walking or bending over.
• pain doesn’t stop when you rest.
• you can’t bend or straighten your knee, or your hip is so stiff that you can’t lift your leg.
• you have osteoarthritis and feel the disease is wearing you down physically, emotionally, and mentally.
• you are suffering severe side effects from the medications for your joint symptoms.
• x-rays show advanced arthritis or other damage.